You have exceeded your shopping time limit and your shopping cart has been emptied.
Since 2013, Reston Association has asked its Habitat Heroes volunteers and residents to help remove the invasive plant called garlic mustard in order to preserve ecosystem health and habitat in our natural areas. The annual spring-time event is called the Garlic Mustard Challenge. The 2017 challenge ran April 3-July 24.
Volunteers who participated in the 2017 Garlic Mustard Challenge pulled 3,080 pounds of the invasive plant this year. The winners of the challenge include the following:
Individual Category Winner
Patricia Wagner: 2,636.5 pounds
CA Technologies: 166.6 pounds
Reston Environmental Action: 277 pounds
Scouts, families, church groups, businesses, community organizations, school groups, groups of friends and individuals are encouraged to enter in a category:
- Small Group (less than 10)
- Large Group (more than 10)
1. Attend RA’s Habitat Heroes in the spring and learn how to identify and pull garlic mustard. RA staff will weigh your bags at these events.
2. Pull, bag, weigh and keep track of the pounds. RA can also weigh the bags and keep track for you.
3. Businesses, community organizations, scouts, school groups, etc., may also set up a special work day during a weekday to visit of the many RA sites to pull garlic mustard with the help of RA staff.
Whoever pulls the most pounds of garlic mustard per category will win a prize.
Questions? Call 703-435-6552 or email email@example.com.
(Click here to register for other Habitat Heroes projects.)